Corn, Potato & Bacon Chowder
I am pretty excited about this soup. Really, you should try it! It’s my first soup of this fall season and an easy crowd pleaser. This is a soup that comes together quickly so, like me, you can make it with a baby wrapped to your body. Although this soup would stay good for a few days, it did not last that long around here.
- 1.5 cups corn – roasted
- 8 slices of bacon (I use pre-cooked from costco which speeds things ups)
- 3 tbs flour (used whole wheat)
- 1 red pepper – diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cans chicken broth
- 1-2 large potatoes (2nd time I used a bunch of mini potatoes cut in half)
- mushroom (optional). You could use anything – celery, parsnips, carrot (I used 1/2 pkg white sliced mushroom)
- 2 cups milk (warmed so it does not stop the simmer – homo, or use skim and add a generous splash of cream)
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- salt & pepper
Spread a single layer of corn on a roasting pan and bake at 400 for 15 mins or until browned. Set aside
If using raw bacon, cook it, dice it and set aside but save 3 tbs bacon fat and add to the bottom of your soup pot. (If using precooked like me, simply dice the bacon and use 3 tbs butter in pot).
Saute the onion & red pep until onion are translucent then stir in flour and continue to cook on medium heat for 3 minutes.
Add in the chicken broth, potatoes, mushrooms and corn and simmer until soup starts to thicken. Add warm milk, cream and spices and continue to simmer until it tastes just right =)
Serve hot with a hearty bread and warm up.