Coconut-Lime Rice with Beans and Mango
This recipe was a hit with new friends at a recent dinner party. The rice dish vegetarian and dairy free and full of healthy, hearty and flavorful ingredients so it can be served as a meal or a side. TO save time, chop and rinse your ingredients ahead of time then put together as you are building the dish.
- 2 cups brown rice, uncooked and rinsed (why rinse?)
- 2 teaspoons of oil (in this case I used vegetable oil for it’s neutral taste)
- 1 cup diced shallots
- 1.5 tbs minced ginger (store your ginger in the freezer to extend it’s use)
- 1 can full fat coconut milk (light is watered down – why pay for that)
- 2.5 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 mango cubed
- 1 can of small red kidney beans (you could cook the beans yourself if time permits or swap these out for black beans if that’s what you have)
- Grated zest and juice of one lime
- Chopped green onion for garnish
Heat oil in a large soup pot on medium heat. Add the shallots until they start to brown than add the ginger for another 30 seconds.
Add the rice and let it begin to toast for about 2 minutes.
Add the coconut milk, broth, salt and bring to a simmer.
Stir, cover and reduce the heat to low. Let this gently simmer until the rice is tender and liquid is absorbed – about 40 minutes. If your rice is not done at this time and you’re liquid is gone, just add more broth or water.
You can use this time to chop up your mango, rinse the beans, zest and squeeze your lime and chop green onions if you have not yet done so.
Once your rice is tender, fold in the beans, lime zest and juice and mango. Let this all warm up in your rice pot for a couple minutes than serve warm with your green onion garnish.
This recipe is based on this little diddy from Thug Kitchen which is quite a treat to read!