Coconut Curry Soup with Shrimp
Last night we had coconut curry soup with shrimp and it was my favorite of all the soups I’ve made. I often have a craving for a soup just like this and end up buying it (from Cambodiana Restaurant DT Kingston) because I had no idea it would be such a cinch to make. My mind is racing with variations of curry soup – there will be more to come!
As for this recipe, two things led to this soup. First, I asked my husband if he had a request for dinner and he said shrimp. I love shrimp but didn’t want to spend a lot of time on all the sides we’d need to fill up. Secondly, it was a dreary grey day so soup seemed like the answer.
Since I knew this soup wouldn’t be accompanied with rice, I needed to make it hearty and filling. For the base I used a combination of sweet potato, coconut milk and chicken broth. I used what I had in the pantry, but you could add any number of tasty ingredients such as mushroom, eggplant and chicken – I’ll save that for next time.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled & boiled (reserve the water)
- 1 white onion
- 1 knob of ginger (about 2 tsp grated)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 2 tbs lime juice
- 1 tbs curry paste
- 1 can bamboo shoots (buy at any grocery store)
- 12 large shrimp
- Peel your sweet potatoes and quarter it for fast cooking. Boil a large pot of water and cook until tender.
- Finely chop or use a food processor (as I did) to mince onion, ginger and garlic.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and add the onion, ginger and garlic until fragrant, about 3 mins.
- Put your sweet potato in the food processor and whiz until smooth. Add in some of the reserved water if needed
- In a large pot add chicken broth, coconut milk, lime juice, curry paste, onion, garlic, ginger and pureed sweet potato. Stir everything together. Add additional water to reach your desired consistency. Add the bamboo shoots then once the soup is hot and simmering, add the shrimp and cook for amount 3 minutes or until pink.
- Serve and enjoy!